Monday 1 June 2015

3-Steps-1-Kneel

Singapore - Kong Meng San Phor Kark See Monastery


Vesak Day actually commemorates the Birth, the Enlightenment and the Death of Buddha.

Vesak is also known as Buddha Day or sometimes informally called Buddha's Birthday.

On Vesak Eve, Buddhist devotees will attend the 3-steps-1-kneel ceremony.


During the procession, devotees will circumambulate the inner perimeter of the temple.

Devotees bow (kneel) every 3 steps while chanting "Nan Mo Ben Shi Shi Jia Mo Ni Fo" (南无本师释迦摩尼佛) which means "Homage to the original teacher Shakyamuni Buddha".

This 3-steps-1-kneel helps to purify the mind, humble the ego and lessen obstacles along the spiritual path as one repents past misdeeds and aspires towards spiritual development.


The first time I did my 3-steps-1-kneel was a year after my mother's recovery from her coma.

I did that for a few reasons.

First and foremost was to thank Buddha for returning my beloved mother to me.

Another reason was to "experience" what my mother had gone through during her coma.

Lastly to test my endurance.

A few years back, my grandmother passed away a couple of weeks before Vesak Day.

I did the 3-steps-1-kneel in hope that my grandmother could have a smoother transition from our world to the nether world.

Ever since I have started this 3-steps-1-kneel, it has become my annual event to mark Vesak Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment